Counters Sample with ISE 12.4

Hi–

I’m trying to build the counters sample and download it onto the XEM6001 but am having no luck. Everything synthesizes and the design runs on the board itself - however, I can’t get any communication with the FrontPanel. I verified the sample that was included with the CD (by just downloading the .bit file included). But I’m trying to build it myself and am having absolutely no luck. I have done plenty of designs in the past with the XEM3010 so I’m sorta stumped as to why I can’t get this going…one thing I’ve noticed during synthesis are many messages similar to the following…

I’m assuming this is why the FrontPanel communication won’t function. All I should need in the project directory is the “Counters.vhd” file, the .ngc files, and the “okLibrary.vhd” file, right? I believe I’ve followed the README file included with the samples and have even configured BITGEN to “float” unused pins (although this note was only for the XEM6110). Any insight into what may be going on is appreciated.

Thanks,
Taylor

You also need the correct UCF file.

I should have mentioned that I included the .ucf file as well…otherwise the design would not work on the board itself. My first post may have been slightly confusing - I see the LEDs counting on the board without any problem, it’s the FrontPanel communication that’s the problem.

Typically this just implies that the host interface isn’t instantiated or wired correctly. Are you using all the files from the existing sample folder?

Have you confirmed that the connections are correct in the resulting pad.txt file?

[QUOTE=Opal Kelly Support;3132]Typically this just implies that the host interface isn’t instantiated or wired correctly. Are you using all the files from the existing sample folder?

Have you confirmed that the connections are correct in the resulting pad.txt file?[/QUOTE]

What other files would I be missing if I am using the constraints file, the top-level file (Counters.vhd), the library file (okLibrary.vhd), and the *.ngc files? I did not provide any additional instantiation other than what “Counters.vhd” already provides. I am assuming it was setup correctly already…is there anyway I could get access to the project files that were used to build the *.bit file included in the samples directory? This way, I can tell where my discrepancy is…would it be helpful if I shared my top-level file? I’ve never analyzed the ‘pad.txt’ file, and am having trouble finding it inside of the project directory.

What version of FrontPanel do you have installed?

This version works fine with my XEM3010. I’ve downloaded an older design and it communicates with the FrontPanel just fine, both the design for the XEM3010 and the XEM6001 were built using Xilinx ISE 12.4.

Taylor,

Please generate a support ticket by emailing [email protected]. We’ve looked into this issue here and discovered that handling of black boxes has changed slightly from the Spartan 3 to Spartan 6 tool chain and would like to send you an update to test.

Cheers,
Opal Kelly Support