Syzygy DNA for custom Pod

(This thread was originally created here)
Hi,
I’ve created a custom Syzygy pod for internal use with an Eclypse-Z7. It is based on the Syzygy PCB Templates project and has an Attiny44 on board. It does not use the VIO voltage rail but needs the FPGA to use 3.3 V logic levels to communicate.

I have cloned the Syzygy Tools project and created my own DNA definition, based on what I’ve seen in other definitions:

{
	"max_5v_load":   200,
	"max_3v3_load":  200,
	"max_vio_load":  200,
	"is_lvds":       false,
	"is_doublewide": false,
	"is_txr4":       false,
	"vio": [
		{ "min": 330, "max": 330 },
		{ "min": 0,   "max": 0 },
		{ "min": 0,   "max": 0 },
		{ "min": 0,   "max": 0 }
		],
	"manufacturer_name": "AWESOME INC.",
	"product_name":      "SZG-CHARLIE",
	"product_model":     "SZG-CHARLIE",
	"product_version":   ""
}

I then used the syzygy-tools.py script to create a .hex file from that definition and flashed this hex file to EEPROM, avr-dna-fw-main.hex to flash and set the fuses to the values found in the python script

Uefuse:w:0xFE:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDD:m -Ulfuse:w:0xE2:m

Flashing was successful, I can read out data via I2C, but the VIO voltage is not enabled - the LEDs indicating VIO enabled stay off. I tried to change the Vio min / max settings (all within the voltage range given on the Eclypse-Z7 reference page) but no change.
Pods that came with the Eclypse-Z7 board work correctly, so a hardware failure is unlikely.
Does anyone know what the error could be?

The Eclypse-Z7 is not an Opal Kelly product. You might want to contact the manufacturer of that carrier for any advice.

yes, I already did - I posted the question here too to find out if anything was (obviously) wrong with my DNA definition or the hex file I programmed to the Attiny’s flash.

After lots of trials and only errors, I solved this issue by patching the syzygy-tools.py script to work with my programmer (it was just a matter of fixing the program_cmd strings).

1 Like