Pipetest synthetisation

Hi

We are working on a prototype using the PC/FPGA Usb link. We can’t use the sample file pipetest.vhd because a lot of “black box” are missing in the vhdl version. Could we find the complete project somewhere?

Moreover we don’t know the type and version of the dual port block ram used in it. What has been used to create that core element? If we had a datasheet we could translate to our block ram cores available on Xilinx 8.1i.

Is there someone who knows how to exchange data between PC and Xem3001?

Thank you in advance for your attention.

I had no problem getting pipetest to produce a bit file under 8.1, perhaps you didn’t load all the OK files and the library?

Bill

The “black boxes” for both the VHDL and Verilog projects are provided in the precompiled .ngc files in the \FrontPanelHDL\Xilinx* directory. The ISE 7.1 .ngc files work with 8.1.

To compile with them, first you have to create a new project directory (the given Samples directory doesn’t work because Xilinx ISE project directories can’t have a space in the path).

Next, you need to copy the pipetest.vhd, pipetest.ise, and *.ucf file to the new project directory. Then, copy the okLibrary.vhd and all the .ngc files from the \FrontPanelHDL\XilinxISE71_v2 to the project directory as well.

Opening up the pipetest.ise file, you may have to auto-update the project (if using ISE 8.1) and then add the okLibrary.vhd file back to the project.

Generate the .bit file and you’re done. So, basically for any FrontPanel project, you need the .ngc files, either okLibrary.v or okLibrary.vhd, and a .ucf file with at least the necessary connections between the FPGA and USB controller.

The buffered pipes are created using an okPipe and a fifo. The fifo used is detailed in the Xilinx application note 131. I believe it uses two block RAMs per buffered pipe.

If you require more control and/or performance from your piped data than is offered by the buffered pipes, you could create your own by using a standard okPipe module with a Xilinx FIFO core (which is now free in ISE 8.1 Webpack!).