FPGA and LabVIEW communication, Help me!

Hi, I wanna communicate the FPGA with the PC by LabVIEW but I have a problem, I don’t know how begin. Please help me:confused:

I would suggest reviewing our materials to understand how the FrontPanel API and DLL work under Windows. Then review National Instruments documentation regarding making external DLL calls from within LabVIEW.

Thank you for your answer, i have another question, like wich document would be ok to read? I don’t know too much about FPGA but in the user’s manual i think i didn’t see information for this.

Technically, you should read them all. The key documents are highlighted at the end of our “Getting Started Guide” :

FrontPanel User’s Manual
XEM User’s Manual
FrontPanel API Documentation

Additionally, the Samples that come with the board are an excellent start since they’re very simple and easy-to-follow.

More importantly, however, without some FPGA experience, you’re obviously going to be at a disadvantage when it comes to programming a device with an FPGA as it’s primary component. There are several tutorials and beginner’s guides online for FPGA work. That might be a good place to start, too.

I should also mention that we’re in the process of putting together a page on our website to help customers get in contact with FPGA experts that have experience with our modules.

If you have interest in such a contact, please email support and we can help you get started. As with any consulting group, they’ll expect to have full project documentation and a reasonable budget in mind before getting too far into the bid process.

Hi again, I have read almost all the documents you said me but I didn’t found too much about LabVIEW, actually almost nothing, please, help me

Thank you

Our library is a standard DLL which can be called from nearly any 3rd-party software with external calling capability. This includes LabVIEW, Matlab, VisualBasic, and hundreds of others.

You should refer to the documentation of that 3rd-party software (i.e. LabVIEW) to determine how to do this.

Hi, I have a doubt about the same. I heard that since time ago XEM3010 can communicate using LabVIEW the doubt is, is it right? because until LabVIEW 8.2 there wasn?t the tool for USB port, how do you suggest do it? or in the other case from which version of LabVIEW you say it’s possible to use it to communicate the XEM3010 with PC by USB?

Any version of LabVIEW that supports calling external DLLs will work.

I have communicated with the XEM-3010 with both LabVIEW 8.6 and 8.5. You must do things in the correct sequence as far as calling the functions from the DLL.

Hi, Jschafer you said that I must do it in the correct sequence but I have a problem, I’m not sure about it 'cos I have never use it I had never done something like this. I’d be thankfull if you help me to know what is the correct sequence. Could you? I write my email in case you wish. [email protected]

I can’t communicate too.When I try to open device I see no success indication and don’t see information about version and so on. May be problem with this routine?

The correct sequence is illustrated in our FrontPanel documentation as well as all of the samples. The recipe is the same regardless of what language you’re using:

[LIST]
*]Create an instance of the object okCUsbFrontPanel.
*]Call OpenBySerial() to open a device.
*]…everything else follows from here…
[/LIST]

I found the reason: my okFrontPanel.lib into LabView directory don’t contains routines for XEM3010 just for XEM3001. What to do next? How I can obtain properly lib? Also this directory has no information files except okFrontPanel.lib and Counters.vi.