Cannot load libFrontPanel-pinv.dll ! Need VS2010 runtime

This is just to let everyone know about a problem I finally fixed.

After writing a small application using the C# interface and performing my tests, I took the same application, along with libFrontPanel-pinv.dll and libFrontPanel-csharp.dll to another computer. I kept getting an exception thrown when I tried to instantiate the front panel (FPGA = new okCFrontPanel();), the exception saying it couldn’t find the libFrontPanel-pinv.dll even though it was sitting in the same directory as my application executable.

Finally … I found that the redistributable components of VS2010 must be installed. On my first computer, I had installed everything, including the samples … which installed the required dlls. On the second computer I only installed the drivers and copied the two frontPanel dlls. Then I installed the c# API. No luck. Then I installed the C++ API. No luck. Then I installed the samples … which installed the required components.

As a follow-up to help C++ users, this is a requirement of VisualStudio C++ applications, as well. The MS runtimes have been a general requirement for application developers for several years.

Not just any runtimes … I have VS2008 installed … the VS2010 runtimes are required. It’s easy enough to download the install.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=5555

Yes, of course. New VS version links new libraries to the executable, so the new compatible runtime will be required. This has been a well-accepted fact of life for VS users for many years, but it’s nice to have it mentioned here because many of our customers are not seasoned VS programmers. Thanks!