API on Snow Leopard?

I just upgraded my os to Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.2). I am trying to build a c++ program that uses both the Opal Kelly board (XEM3005) and Matlab_R2009b. I installed the 64 bit version of Matlab since they are soon retiring the MAc intel 32 bit version. I can compile just fine, but No luck when I try to run. I get the following message:

dlopen(libokFrontPanel.dylib, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
libokFrontPanel.dylib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper

UnsupportedFeature

And the software fails to connect to the FPGA. My suspicion here is that the OK library lacks a 64 bit intel version under the mac. I don’t know of course, but that seems a likely problem.

Has anyone seen this? Has anyone gotten the API to work on a mac with a 64 bit OS? How about Snow Leopard? Any other insights?

Thanks.

I checked on the architectures supported in the latest version of FrontPanel. This is what I got:

libokFrontPanel.dylib: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
libokFrontPanel.dylib (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc
libokFrontPanel.dylib (for architecture i386): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386

So, that tells me that there is not 64 bit mac support. I’m now trying to figure out how to force the gcc compiler to make the best of a 32 bit library…

So I learned that you need to have all libraries of the same architecture. Since the OK libraries are either PPC or intel 32, I had to regress to the MATLAB 32 bit libraries. Then I had to rebuild the Front Panel object code to ensure that it was also 32 bit. Once everything was 32 bit then I got it all to play nicely together. (Sort of, my returned data looks like garbage, but I’ll deal with that later.)

I can get everything to compile by forcing 32 bit versions, but the matlab engine which I’m calling from my c++ code seems only to want to operate in 64 bit mode under snow leopard. So I seem to have a fundamental problem: Matlab wants 64 bit and Opal Kelly only supports 32 it in the FrontPanel Library.

Are there plans to release a 64 bit mac version of the FrontPanel API?

Yes, we can work on an updated version. We only have a single Mac here at Opal Kelly, so it will be a couple weeks before we can upgrade and update the driver.

Glad to hear that you are on it. I appreciate the quick response.

Is there any way to move the timeline along a bit? We’ve bought I think 5 of your boards and we’re now trying to build a commercial prototype under a short timeline. This could prove to be a big delay.

Thanks again for your help.

Well, we’ve got the Snow Leopard upgrade on order and will try to put things together as soon as we can.

Please email [email protected] so we can log a ticket on this and communicate any alpha builds with you.

Thank you so much for your prompt support.

On Monday OpalKelly sent me a new 64 bit library. I ran it through its paces today and it worked great. Thank you for the fast turnaround and personal support!

Bill

Would this be a similar problem with Java?

I am getting the following error with the DESTester.java sample;

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Front Panel/API/Java/libokjFrontPanel.jnilib: no suitable image found. Did find: /Applications/Front Panel/API/Java/libokjFrontPanel.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1861)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1778)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
at DESTester.(DESTester.java:12)

The “no matching architecture in universal wrapper” is the bit making me think it is a 32/64 bit problem.

I am running Snow Leopard, on a 64-bit mac.

Does a 64-bit Java library for OS X exist?

Thanks,
DT

David–

Just wanted to update you a bit on this. We’re working on a new Mac release as we speak to address some of the issues with 64-bit. I think things are in good shape and we should have a release within the next couple days. Please stay tuned to the Software Downloads forum.

A new “interim” release for Mac has been posted to the Software Downloads forum. It’s in the same post as our 3.1.0 release, so look there.

This one should include the appropriate binaries for 64-bit Java, Python, and Ruby for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

This is great, thank-you very much!
DT