API Poll

Hi folks –

We are interested in hearing what versions of the API are being put to use. If you would, please chime in. Feel free to make comments on why you use that platform and anything else you’d like to see supported.

If you’re using the DLL, we’d be very interested in hearing what platform you import it to (i.e. Matlab, LabVIEW, C, etc).

Hello Jake,

Are you considering to update only the library, or are you also considering to include more USB modes? We do work with real-time systems and we are very happy about the transfer ratio of our XEM. I was wondering, however, if in a not distant future XEM will support also Interrupt/Isochronous USB transfer modes for real-time applications?

Thanks
Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio-

No additional USB modes are currently planned at the moment. Isochronous transfers are allowed to lose data and include errors – making them less appealing for most applications. In fact, bulk transfers can be faster – though not guaranteed on periodic delivery.

Interrupt transfers would be interesting, but also have some drawbacks. Similar results can be had by having the application poll the device at intervals.

I am primarily using C with VC6 lib but also use Java and possibly Matlab even at some point.

In Windows we are using the DLL with our own stripped down bindings for C++ and C#.

Would really like to use in SUSE 10.0. We will attempt to use the currently available Linux libs soon.

[QUOTE=Opal Kelly Support]Hi folks –

We are interested in hearing what versions of the API are being put to use. If you would, please chime in. Feel free to make comments on why you use that platform and anything else you’d like to see supported.

If you’re using the DLL, we’d be very interested in hearing what platform you import it to (i.e. Matlab, LabVIEW, C, etc).[/QUOTE]

Your list doesn’t offer me the choice of “other” :slight_smile: I coded up a Visual Basic 6.0 program using your DLL for the XEM-3010 and it works fine. I may migrate to C++ for the production version. This long time C/C++ programmer got seduced by the speed of VB.

Since you support also Linux, it would make sense to add a Linux option to the poll (or at least ‘none of the above’).

K.

I did log a vote under C/C++ with DLL, although I’m really using Matlab, not C.

I currently use the C++ libraries for development. I use the following tools for development:

1. Gentoo Linux Distro
  2. Xemacs editor
  3. C++ libraries and QT for application development
  4. Verilog for HDL development
  5. Command line Xilinx via Makefiles
  6. Simulation using CVER

I am 99% C++ but have started using Ruby for noncritical applications and find it very efficient and concise. I haven’t had the time to try wrapping the C API and was wondering if anyone else had thought about Ruby development here.

Funny you should mention Ruby… We hoped to have a Ruby wrapper in the latest version, but didn’t get to it. It will be forthcoming.

We have even bigger plans for Ruby… Stay tuned.

Currently using dll with labview. Would be helpful if there were more examples.

What sorts of things would you like to see in the examples?

A DSP hardware guy. Currently manage to get by with Matlab API for my project on hand. The provided Matlab API helped a lot, but I suspect that I will eventually need to get a little more sophisticated in the software support, such as C++, C#, or XML.

I realize this poll is old but rest assured, at least one customer is using C#/.Net

I need to call the okFrontPanelDLL from Delphi, but i can not call the functions, anybody has tried this? Delphi loads the library and gets an address for a function, but when i call the function, i have an Access Violation error, i hope somebody can help me.