XEM6310 boards won't configure from flash if flash is being accessed at startup

I programmed the XEM6310-LX45 system flash with an FPGA bit file and a dozen or two sectors of user data. At power-on if I do nothing else the FPGA configures just fine after about 12 seconds.

However, if I run my application program before the FPGA is configured, the board never configures the FPGA. My application does a bunch of flash sector reads at the beginning to retrieve the user data. Apparently these flash operations are conflicting with the USB microcontroller’s FPGA configuration process. I guess such a conflict is not unreasonable. So must one wait until the FPGA is configured (from flash) before accessing the flash user data? If so, is there a programmatic way of telling when the configuration is done that doesn’t interrupt what the USB micro is doing?

[QUOTE=jadwin79;4015]I programmed the XEM6310-LX45 system flash with an FPGA bit file and a dozen or two sectors of user data. At power-on if I do nothing else the FPGA configures just fine after about 12 seconds.

However, if I run my application program before the FPGA is configured, the board never configures the FPGA. My application does a bunch of flash sector reads at the beginning to retrieve the user data. Apparently these flash operations are conflicting with the USB microcontroller’s FPGA configuration process. I guess such a conflict is not unreasonable. So must one wait until the FPGA is configured (from flash) before accessing the flash user data? If so, is there a programmatic way of telling when the configuration is done that doesn’t interrupt what the USB micro is doing?[/QUOTE]

My solution to this was to poll the FPGA until it is configured and only then access the flash contents. My test to see if the FPGA is configured is to read a sentinel register in my logic that always returns a known value. However, to do this I had to repeatedly close and reopen the Frontpanel DLL; just leaving the DLL open doesn’t work.